Monday, December 6, 2010

ah, the end of another semester...

I'm so glad its coming to a close, and I'm pleased with everything I've done this semester. I feel like I've accomplished so much in the three different mediums I've invested myself in: photography, drawing, and digital media. For me, they all influence each other, benefitting my creative endeavors, and I'll certainly continue to practice all three together. I've always taken photos to make drawings from, but I've learned how to arrange still lives and create a single image with the ability to stand on its own. In making a video, however, I feel as if I'm making a moving drawing.

For this last digital critique, I showed my in-progress video, for which the critique was extremely helpful. It's been shortened and has become more focused. Although it doesn't have the 'dreamy' quality I was hoping for, I love the repetitious movements and the subtle (?) juxtapositions between the split screen. With elements like eggshells, keys, knives, water, my hands, and my mouth, the video sits on the verge of poetry and randomness. It's been especially fun learning Final Cut, as there are way more editing possibilities than iMovie. And now that I've gotten my feet wet, I'll definitely be acquiring the program and making more videos with it. Also, I want to focus more on some sound pieces. For me, sounds alone can evoke thoughts and feelings, and I think I can draw on that. (Haha, pun intented ;)

In Connie's class we had to set up a 'virtual exhibition,' such as the one we did for Leslie's class last semester. There was an option on how we could present it, by either a slideshow, website, or to actually build a small-scale model of a gallery. I, of course, chose to make another weebly site. Weebly is such an awesome, free, and simple online venue for these curatorial experiments. Please take a look!

Next semester will be a serious change of pace, not nearly as intense, which will allow for more experiments and time for research. I'll be a teacher's assistant for drawing 1, I'll be taking the AHC Topics: Representation and Embodiment, and the Graduate Studio Seminar: Berlin.
I'm absolutely thrilled to be going back to Berlin!! Its been five years!! And its been two semesters already that I haven't taken an art history course, so I'm also excited about that (plus its Scott's class and he's an amazing professor!) I had been pretty indecisive about teaching or not, but I've come to the conclusion that I'm in Grad school right now, and I'd better not close any doors on myself. I should take advantage of all the opportunities I can get!

So now its time to relax for the holidays, but still try to make some money, finish reading some books, and work through some more ideas.
Thank you to Connie, Leslie, and Libby for an amazing semester!! I've enjoyed the inspiration and the push to make (for me) VERY exciting work!

No comments:

Post a Comment