Monday, November 8, 2010

swapneshwari

So I'm working on all kinds of things at the same time right now. More photographs, for both drawings and prints, shooting video, looking at lots of other artists, reading books about contemporary art, dreams, and memory, and getting ready for my first gallery E adventure.
I need to grow more arms... but a tripod and a boyfriend/assistant come in handy :)

For my next video idea, I'm grabbing all kinds of footage, from me painting objects black, to outside environments, to strange actions. I'm planning on using Final Cut to make the video as surreal as (if not more than) my current drawings. I want to implement a split screen, so it works like a diptych, with the figures and objects sometimes interacting with each other. Playing with different scales of the environment versus the figure/objects is important. I'm having so much fun with all three classes, because they each spark different ideas and ways of handling all the imagery I'm collecting. Of course in video, I have the choice of working with moving images as well as still ones. In drawing, I have the freedom to manipulate all kinds of images together, and in photography, I'm setting up specific shots that are intended to carry their own weight. Sometimes, though, the lines between all the mediums get blurry and images cross over. I'm not thinking thats a bad thing at all... more like I'm building up my language and experimenting with which are the best sentence structures for it.

I get into Tracey Emin's art a great deal, and I even sometimes compare my work to hers in that its very personal, but way more subtle by contrast. My photo teacher, Libby told me that my work is eons away from Emin's, but then I showed my videos from last semester's digital tools class to her in the company of my photography class. They were blown away from the intensity of the videos. They were actually pretty intense to me too, as one of them is very confessional and I hadn't seen them in so long... Libby was saying that my work now could be pushed that far, although I've been embracing a subtlety. So I feel like I want to push the subtlety as far as I can. Through the surreal quality, and intermingling of particular objects, of course. In my photo critique, I put forth lots of images; even the ones I intended to just be for drawing references. I was extremely relieved that the class thinks I'm going in the right direction with the photos, and that they agreed that my photography skills hold up on their own. :)

Now onto LOTS TO DO!! Gotta get way more video footage, start a drawing, finish two, revamp my artist statement, build shelves for my drawings, and put together my advancement 'show.' (YIPE!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment